Content is delivered in various formats in order to maximize learning opportunities, effectively deliver a wide variety of content, and provide students with direct access to some of the best minds in the business.
The 2017 Sports Business Classroom content formats are:
- Lectures: One-hour, instructor-led GE sessions. Each topic has three lecture sections – 101, 201 and 301.
- Roundtables: One-hour moderator-led panel discussions with industry experts. Each topic will have its own roundtable.
- Practicums: Hands-on exercises in specific topics. For example, the Salary Cap practicum will simulate a mock trade deadline, and the Job Hunting practicum will match students with prospective employers in a “speed dating” format. Practicums are 2.5 hours.
- Deep Dives: Here’s where you really get into your chosen major. SBC will provide three deep dive sessions that are three hours each. The content and format will vary by major:
- League Salary Cap: Larry Coon’s extensive lecture series on the NBA’s Collective Bargaining Agreement. This is the same content he teaches directly to NBA teams. You will be learning elbow-to-elbow with industry personnel who are taking this series as the Executive Session.
- Scouting, Video and Analytics: Work in small groups directly with league personnel as they take you through their work processes as part of the NBA Summer League.
- Social Media and Digital Branding: Work directly with a Summer League player to help build his digital brand.
- Broadcast: Intern with Turner as they broadcast the NBA Summer League.
- Guest Speakers: Grab lunch and sit back while an NBA coach or executive talks about his or her personal experience and what it takes to succeed in this business.
Sports Business Classroom provides the best of all worlds – a rich learning environment, direct access to top industry executives, and immersion in the best setting imaginable – the Las Vegas Summer League. Opportunities for Sports Business Classroom students include:
- Learn from the best in the business, in areas where job opportunities exist
- Obtain exclusive credential access to six (6) days of the Las Vegas Summer League and exclusive events not open to the public
- Direct access to and networking with league executives and personnel
- Based on performance during the Sports Business Classroom, a minimum of two (2) jobs will be offered to work at the following Las Vegas Summer League
- Hands-on experience in areas such as scouting, video, broadcasting and social branding
- Interview opportunities with prospective employers
- Immersion in the NBA Summer League
- An SBC-Only seating section reserved for SBC students
- Individuals who want to pursue their dream of working in sports
- Students who are looking for an opportunity in sports & want to prove they have what it takes
- Current sports industry professionals who want to expand upon their existing skillset
- Individuals who have a passion for learning & growth